Saturday, May 9, 2009

Bread and Butter Pudding (Puding Roti)

bread and butter puddingSimple is usually the best way to prepare food. Don't you agree? Like bread and butter pudding. I just love them and I expect everybody would too only to find out that Michael do not. I really have to change my mentality that not everybody enjoy food. Some people eat because they just have to.

Print FREE Grocery Coupons at Home

Back to bread and butter pudding. Since I love them, I have tried a few recipes and all of them are too elaborate for my taste. I realised that I don't like 'stuff' like raisins or nuts in them. I remember one time I made it with all the ingredients that you can think of and my friends love it but I didn't. Since then I scaled down the ingredients used in my bread pudding until I am satisfied with the taste. This reminds me of Gordon Ramsey's show The F Word. On 1 episode he and another guy had a showdown on bread and butter pudding. As usual his is very fancy shmancy while the other guy's is very simple and once they are done, were served to the customers 'in the dark'. The result? Well, the other guy's bread and butter pudding won hands down and Ramsey was shocked! I thought that was funny. hehehe.


bread pudding

Bread and Butter Pudding



6 slices of bread
3 eggs
1 3/4 - 2 cups milk
1 tbs vanilla extract
6-7 tbs sugar
3 tbs melted butter
Chocolate chips
Cinnamon powder


1. Butter baking dish or use cooking spray

2. Cubed 4 of the bread and lay them on the baking dish. Add chocolate chips on top.

3. In a bowl, whisk the egg, add milk and vanilla extract.

4. In another bowl, add sugar with butter. Butter the other 2 slices of bread with them and sprinkle with cinnamon powder. Cut into 4 pieces each. Set aside. (This is for the topping)

6. Combine the egg mix with butter and stir well. Pour them on top of the bread in the baking dish. Let it rest on room temperature for 30min.

7. Preheat oven to 325F.

8. Add the topping to the baking dish and bake for 1 hour.


*** I got the idea for the topping from here.***





25 comments:

Jun @ IndoChine Kitchen said...

Never had bread pudding before. Do you serve it with anything? Ice cream or whipped cream, perhaps? Fresh fruit?

Salt N Turmeric said...

Jun, i usually eat it on its own warm or chilled overnight. Sure you can add ice cream or whipped cream or fruit or all of the above on top if that's what you like. *wink*

Justin said...

this reminds me it's been way too long since I made a bread pudding. i guess i'm like you because I always put cinnamon and bread in mine.

ICook4Fun said...

Fuuny yea. Carlos pun tak suka bread pudding so I hardly make this. I am totally opposite. I like raisins in everything :) :)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I hate checking your food blog before I go to bed (because it pops out on my Google Reader just now). Now I'll be obsessing over this and cannot sleep! That's a compliment, love. I love bread pudding!!! And knowing you made one without raisins and subbed it with chocolate chips... how come I never thought of that before? Huuuuargh!

Syaliza Abdul Rahman said...

Hi :o)

I've never baked bread pudding b4 but I sure love them, every version there is!

Maybe it's about time I try and make one :o)

Thank you for the recipe :o)

Nadine Mazbar said...

At first I thought it was cashew nuts on top of the pudding, hehehe and I just realized later it was choc chips ;D Love this recipe girl ! ;) The pudding looks perfect ! ;D

Salt N Turmeric said...

Justin, i love the smell of cinnamon when baking. Yumm! :)

Gert, maybe not many american knows abt it since my neighbour pun tak tau abt it but she and her kids loved it! lol.

Munira, hehehe. I think its good to check it at night so come morning you know what to cook. *wink* Dont forget to add choc chips. Sedap!

Syana, cubalah buat. Easy and yummy! :)

Nadine, no cashew in my bread pudding. Are you making this for breakfast tomorrow? *wink*

Nadine Mazbar said...

Yes dear I'm definitely gonna try this but I have to wait after I finished my on call shift first, then I'm gonna make them later when I'm back from my teaching hospital, thanks for the recipe girl ;)

CS said...

Hi, that's my fav. too but never hubby's. I like to have it with custard sauce. Sedapnya malas nak cerita, ;-)

MamaFaMi said...

Senang dibuat
Sedap dimakan!
*wink* *wink*

Jo said...

I haven't made this recipe for ages and ages. It's such a comfort dessert and I love mine warm from the oven with some custard sauce. Simply delicious.

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Farina,

I punya bread pudding i taurk slices of bananas, so i kurangak sugar..pun best jugak rasanya kan..

averagebetty said...

I love this recipe! So simple and so much different than bread puddings I am used to! Thanks :)

Salt N Turmeric said...

Nadine, already on call? didnt realise ur a full fledge doc already! ;)

Somuffin, a ah kan. Makan dgn custart sauce mesti sedap. tapi kat sini takde bird's custard tu. :(

Mamafami, betul tu. Itu yg senang hati nak buat sbb senang. lol.

Jo, true. Drenched it with custard sauce when its warm must be sinfulicious!

Ida, letak banana tu i tak pernah dengar pulak. sedap ke?

Betty, then you must share the version that you're used to! :)

Salt N Turmeric said...

bigWOWO, is there a Msian restaurant near where you live? Do share what you have eaten so far. :)

Unknown said...

Yummy I've never had puding roti with chocolate chips before..like u, I pun kurang gemar yg ada raisins dan yg seangkatan dgn nya. I'd rather have the plain one, warm with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.

I watched that Gordon Ramsay show too! Kelakar kan?

Cynthia said...

Pudding roti - I think I prefer that name :)

Kana said...

Pudding roti & chocolate chips memang best!

Salt N Turmeric said...

SohoMama, you tengok tht show part jugak? Kelakar tengok reaction GR kan? But he's very sporting and accepted defeat well. :)

Cynthia, haha. You also call bread, roti don't you? :)

Maya, memang best giler. Twice dah i buat and bagi kat my neighbour yg tak pernah makan but they loved it!

`` said...

adoi...lapar sgt lah tengok u punya website ni..
i really have to avoid looking at it during the nighttime right before bedtime! :D

pearly said...

woooow yummy my kids and hubby big time fev :)
you can serve with custard mmmm
or double cream wooow .

you can even add chop apricot if u don't like rising .
wooooo I am sooo suprice you like bread and butter pudding is a very English thing hahaah
have a lovely weekend xxxx

makcikkantin said...

hi,
salam,been following yr blog for sometime...ni baru 'chip' in.
nice pudding, i like it plain but my anak2& hubby tak suke langsung..

Saro said...

Hey!

So I've just tried the bread pudding and kudos to you. It's so simple and tastes delicious! It's been rainy and cold where I am and warm pudding's perfect for the weather. Can't wait to try out more of these yummy recipes! Btw, I've made it twice already this weekend.

Salt N Turmeric said...

Saro, thank you for visiting and sharing the result of your bread pudding. Im glad you're loving it and I hope you'd keep trying my other easy and simple recipes. :)