Thursday, December 8, 2011

Kuih Keria Recipe

Kuih Keria is one of many delicious traditional Malay kuihs. It is made of sweet potato and flour and coated with crystalised/caramalised sugar. I have tried making them myself before using the sweet potato/yam that was sold at the regular supermarket i.e. Ralph's, Von and etc. The result was rather a disaster. They were too watery and I had to add a lot of flour to be able to make a dough out of them. That only resulted in a hard Kuih Keria. Not the typical soft and slightly chewy delicious Kuih Keria but a rock hard one! That was maybe 3 years ago. I haven't even bothered making them again until recently when I was told to use Japanese yam that is sold at the asian supermarket. Some of my friends in other states told me that it's called Korean yam. I guess the name varies depending on where you buy them or who sell them. Japanese or Korean yam, as long as they give me a delicious Kuih Keria, I am happy.


KUIH KERIA RECIPE


1 Japanese Yam (about 500g or 1lb)
1/2 cup flour
Oil for frying
1/2 cup sugar
3-4tbs water

1. Boil the sweet potato/yam until it is soft. Poke it with a fork to make sure it is soft. Drain and peel the skin off.

2. In a bowl, mash the sweet potato and gradually add the flour. Mix them until it form a dough. The dough should still be a bit sticky. Be careful not to add in too much flour which will result in a hard Kuih Keria.

3. On a floured surface, form balls about 2in big. (If they stick to your hand, dip your hand in a bowl of flour before you touch the dough.) Poke a hole in the middle with your finger and make a donut shape.

4. Heat oil in a pan or wok to medium heat and fry the donuts. Don't over crowd the pan. Turn once until golden brown both side. Drain on paper towel. Let them cool.



5. In another wok/pan, make the syrup by boiling sugar with water until it thickens. Make sure they are really thick before you add in the donuts. Make sure all are coated with the syrup and continue on the fire until the sugar crystalised.

6. Serve immediately. It is super delicious when still warm. Just microwave for 10-20second if they get cold before you get to finish them.


2 comments:

T said...

I love Keria. I don't make it because everytime that I mention I wanted to make a dish with sweet potato, my unrefined spouse just turned his nose away from me. hahahaha. At least now I know to look for Japanese Yam if I ever wanted to make some. How is that Yam differs from regular sweet potato at regular store, I mean look-wise?

Salt N Turmeric said...

T, iv sent you the pic via email. I hope you receive it and good luck in making kuih keria! :)