Sunday, August 24, 2008

Green Beans with Oyster Sauce Recipe


A typical set of Malaysian meal would usually consist of white rice, 1 or 2 (or sometimes 3 or even 4) meat and/or seafood and vegetables dishes. One of the many reasons why I hardly ever cook before. The other reasons varies from 1) i was lazy 2) my aunties/cousins are all great cooks so i just go to their houses 3) 24hrs restaurants/stalls are everywhere.

The using of oyster sauce and garlic is very much chinese influenced dish. I love this dish since the beans are kept crunchy and not chewy and using minimum ingredients. And for this dish, I really do use minimum ingredients. If you dont already have oyster sauce at home, you can get it from the asian aisle at the regular supermarket. My personal favourite brand is Lee Kum Kee but I am sure other brands are ok too.

Green Beans with Oyster Sauce
Serves 1-2

A handful of green beans, ends trimmed (you can either leave as 1 long piece or cut into 2)
2 garlic, thinly sliced
half red chili, thinly sliced
1 tbsp oyster sauce
A pinch of sugar (optional)
1 tbsp cooking oil
half cup water


1. In a wok or frying pan, heat the oil on high heat and saute the garlic

2. Add water and let it boil. Add oyster sauce and sugar, stir.

3. Add green beans and chili, stir once or twice and cover. Turn the heat to low. 1 min.

4. Uncover and stir one more time.

5. Serve immediately.




11 comments:

Maggie said...

The beans look delicious! My parents always had a bottle of oyster sauce in our fridge for stir fried veggies. I don't know why I've never made it one of my own staples. I'm going to get a bottle soon.

Brecht said...

Looks yummy & easy Far, nanti i cuba ye, thx again for sharing. Your blog dah jadi my daily mantra, so much i hv learnt from it Far, big hugs, thx for being my virtual teacher.

Rasa Malaysia said...

So cantik. Good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Really nice close up!

pearly said...

woooo you are good, I love the color of green bean .yes green bean also my fever veg too I can have it all kind ,I also like to use it in my curry dish too.
yummy and fresh test is good with every meal weldone dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

daphne said...

A classic in a chinese dish. I love the colours!

Salt N Turmeric said...

Maggie, thank you. ;) yes, get a bottle. You can practically stir-fry any veggie with it.

Mush, thank u. bertambah kembanglah i kena puji. hehe. eh, kenapa u panggil i far yek? pelik lah pulak dengar. lol.

Rasa, thank you. ;)

Girl Japan, thank you for visiting. ;)

Pearly, i prefer long beans but at the supermarket here, they usually are not tht fresh.

Daphne, thank you. ;)

lubnakarim06 said...

Thank u so much dear. Waiting to have an yummy event.

Brecht said...

Sorry Farina, i hv 2 friends that hv similar front names like yours - Marina & Farina, i call them Mar & Far, sorry will stick to Farina = )

sj said...

Oh Farina, that looks amazing :) Mmmm.

Dura said...

Sedap nyer.. I suka kacang buncis ..yummylicious :)