Thursday, November 20, 2008

Swiss Souffle Potatoes

baked potato souffleLooking at my my blog entries it seems like I only make asian or Malaysian dishes. Well, that is not entirely true since Michael doesn't really eat my food so everytime I cook something for myself, I will cook something western for him like here, here and here.

Recently we went to Ross and I found this cooking book called Best-Ever 500 Recipes. They might have 500 recipes but typical me, I would only try to make something if 1) I have the ingredients or at least substitute with something that I already have 2) its easy to make 3) its something that either one of us would like. So I chose to make these Swiss Souffle Potatoes and they turned out so good I wish I had made more.


Swiss Souffle Potatoes
serves 2

2 baking potatoes (about 1lb)
1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese (I used mozzarella)
1/4 cup herb butter (I used regular butter)
2 tbsp double/heavy cream (I used evaporated milk)
1 egg, separated
salt and ground black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 425F.

2. Scrub the potatoes and prick all over with a fork. Bake for 1-1.5hrs or until tender. Remove from oven and reduce heat to 350F.

3. Halves potatoes and scoop out the flesh into a bowl. Place the potato shells on a baking sheet and return to the oven to crisp up while making the filling.

4. Mash the potato flesh, add cheese, butter and egg yolk. Mix well, then season with salt and pepper to taste.

5. Whisk white egg until stiff and carefully fold into the potato mixture. Pile the mixture back into the potato shells and bake for 20-25min until risen and golden brown.







19 comments:

pearly said...

look yummy ! no choice la u and me having a ang moo hubby , must cook west and east food daily hahhaa poor us

Reeni said...

They look really delicious! I wish I had one now. That's a lot of cooking you do!

Anonymous said...

that look easy....n nice,balik msia nanti boleh lah make for me some of yr recipes...ohk...

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow looks yummy with all that cheese and pepper.

Anonymous said...

WOW - these look awesome! Plus, I just finished a catering job where I have a bunch of leftover potatoes and a hunk of gruyere. I think this will be my side with dinner tonight!

Salt N Turmeric said...

Pearly, yeap, wht to do. lol.

Reeni, thank you. Im used to cooking 2 different dishes now. ;)

Sue, tak kuasa weh balik Msia nak masak bagai. :P

Lubna, it was heaven to my husband. lol.

PeppercornPress, lucky you then for having the gruyere cheese. Hope you'd like it. :)

ICook4Fun said...

I have the same problem like you. I have to cook two type of food sometimes. This potatos dish would be good for thankgiving dinner. I might do this dish. Thanks for sharing Farina.

SuperMas said...

Farina, sedapnya.. thanks for sharing ya.. hugs!

Sri said...

Wah Farina..that's a lot of dishes in a day!
My hubby also doesnt eat any Asian foods. My kids only eat the ones that are not pedas. Or the ones that *smell* nice. Ha! No funky smelling foods for them. *rolling eyes*

But I dont cook 2 different cuisines a day lah. Mati, dah! Mostly, I'll cook Western foods but on the days my hubby has duty and wont be coming home, ah...all the Asian dishes start coming out. Kalau I masak yang pedas2, then I will take out the-oh-so-dependable-frozen-chicken-nuggets for the kids. Hahahaha..

Salt N Turmeric said...

Gert, kita serupa! lol.

Mas, thank you and you're welcome.

Sri, no stinky food for your girls huh? I think when we have kids, im gonna train them fr young. lol.

Twiggy said...

oh..my..god.. THAT LOOKS SOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!! I'm drooling!!

sj said...

That looks amazing Farina... I love all the things you cook, really... but I adore your Malaysian foods because you present them in a way that makes them approachable to us Westerners. You've opened my eyes to a cuisine I knew nothing about but can see I would really love. For that, I thank you :)

Cynthia said...

Looking at my my blog entries it seems like I only make asian or Malaysian dishes. - I am very happy about this! No complaints here :)

Salt N Turmeric said...

Twiggy, u kan dah jadi ala-kitchen diva now so im sure you can make these. :)

Jo, that is so sweet of you and it meant a lot to me coming from someone who has never even had a Malaysian dish before. *hugs*

Cynthia, I am happy that you're happy with my Malaysian dishes. ;)

tragic girl said...

seems alot of us have to 'double' cook. :) these days I get lazy and since it's winter it's fusion stews! I'm gonna try this tho.

Tastes of Home said...

oh this looks great :) luckily my hubby eats what I cook hehe except for durian LOL

Salt N Turmeric said...

Foodbox, you're right. It must be pretty normal nowadays. :)

Jannie, I guess when the wife is working, they can't really say much. Makan ajelah apa yg atas meja tu. lol.

Rico said...

sweet ... a soufflé really nice too. Saw you on Foodbuzz. Keep cooking is great.

Salt N Turmeric said...

Thanks Rico and welcome to my blog. :)