Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Ayam Percik Recipe / Barbequed Chicken in Spicy Coconut Milk Gravy


Another recipe from the east coast states of Malaysia courtesy of my dear friend Sue. I do have a thing for east coast's delicacies don't I? As usual, when you ask a recipe from your mom or aunt or friend, it comes it terms of ingredients only without the measurements. The same goes to ayam percik recipe when I asked her for it. If my handwriting was not ugly, I would have scanned the paper where I wrote down the recipe and put it here. But unfortunately they are so I will spare you from seeing the worst handwriting in the world. *lol*


Ayam percik is also available mostly during the month of Ramadhan but you can still get them at the pasar malam (night market). What makes Ayam Percik .... Ayam Percik, is the gravy. Its drenched with coconut milk based gravy that have everything from shallots to ginger to chili to tamarind juice. It may sounds heavy but its oh-so-heavenly! Please do not let the slightly long list of ingredients scare you since most of them goes in the blender together. Once you blend them, everything else is easy like 1-2-3.

Ayam Percik Recipe
Serves 4

8 pieces chicken drumsticks (or any other parts) - rubbed with salt and turmeric
3-4 shallots
1 red onion
4-5 garlic
3in ginger
2 stalks lemongrass
2-3 tbsp sambal oelek (more if you like it hotter)
1.5 tsp turmeric powder
1 can coconut milk (400ml)
1 can water (use the same coconut milk can)
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 - 1 tsp tamarind juice powder
Sugar and salt to taste

1. Start the grill.

2. In a blender, blend shallots, onion, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, sambal oelek and turmeric powder.

3. In a pot (use a big one), boil coconut milk, water and and the rest of the ingredients except the chicken on medium heat. Keep stirring until it boils. Let it simmer.

4. Steamed the chicken for 6-10min.

5. When the grill is ready, start grilling the chicken. Basting it with the gravy 3-4 times.

Ayam Percik is best enjoyed with Nasi Kerabu, rice with fish and vegetables like long beans, beansprouts and polygonum leaves or just plain white rice. I had mine with the half version of nasi kerabu. I just chopped or finely cut the vegetables, mix it with the rice and pour some gravy on top. Please do be very generous with the gravy on both your rice and chicken. It is not Ayam Percik if it is not drenched/drowned with the gravy.






20 comments:

Tastes of Home said...

I love ayam percik but never found recipes..will definitely try this one out :)

MamaFaMi said...

Mama tak berapa nak rajin buat ayam percik sebab senang dapat kat Pasar Malam... ahakss.... that's the beauty of staying in Malaysia ;-)

VG said...

Yum...I can see my barbie getting fired up very soon. Thanks for sharing Farina.

pearly said...

well nice looking at the picture make me so hungry la !
i will give a good today got a chick give it a try and let you know . thank 4 sharing babe xxxxxx

Anis Zainal-Pacleb said...

babe, u re very good at making my air liuq meleleh k! looks good but i bet it taste even better....nak sikit boleh?

Yatie_T said...

Sedap nya Ayam Percik.... dah lama tak makan. Meleleh air liur pulak. hahaha....
What my mom usually do instead of steaming the chicken, she cook it with the gravy. Once the chicken is cook, she took it out and starts grilling, basting it with the gravy left and right until some of the gravy sticks to the chicken. Uhmmmm... Yum!

Lore said...

That gravy definitely has the W-O-W factor. I'd love to try this for a comfy dinner :D

Salt N Turmeric said...

Jannie, try eating this with nasi kerabu. its so good!

Mama, taulah. thts why i never bothered to know how to make this before. Pergi aje pasar malam. lol.

Vin, its spring there now right? Yeah, get those barbie ready adn start grilling.

Pearly, let me know if your family likes it ok?

Anis, lol. The pics werent that good pun boleh terlioq kah? But you're right, it tastes better than it looks.

Yatie, I guess you can make it that way too. As long as you grill it later to get that 'burned' look and taste of ayam percik.

Lore, i bet you've never had ayam percik before but im pretty sure you'l like it though. ;)

NorthBorneoGirl said...

I always thought tht it is too difficult to make ayam percik .. so thanks for the recipe dear .. if I use fish okay tak ? .. because my other girl tak makan ayam :)

VG said...

Hi Farina...me again. Yes it is spring here and we sure are firing up the barbie!

Btw, Pls come over and collect your award from my blog, ya.

Brecht said...

I have printed and filed this recipe in my recipe files Farina. As soon as i give it a try and it works (or even edible enough to eat!!), i shall keep u posted of my ayam percik! Thanks for sharing and making the recipe easy to follow and clear. U hv been so far the best cooking guru for me Farina, big hugs for a good weekend. Mush

Salt N Turmeric said...

Envy, yup, i did too until my friend told me its not. You can replace chicken with fish but I think for fish, you might only need to steam or boil for like 2-3min. Im not sure myself. Trial and error ajelah yek? ;)

Vin, thank you. Il hop over soon. ;)

Mush, if i can do it, you can too. We'r both still learning to cook our own food. lol.

mad redo1 said...

love the presentation... simple but enticing... haruslah mad redo1 ke pasar kejap lagi nih...

Yatie_T said...

farina,
I think my mom's taking a short cut by cooking the chicken with the gravy. She probably lazy to wash more dishes if she's doing your way. I don't blame her for taking short cut, she has 7 kids to feed and none of us really know how to cook. Hehehe

letti said...

man, i have been "kempunan"ing ayam percik since the fasting month began. I think now I have no excuse not to try and make it! Thanks for the recipe :P

Salt N Turmeric said...

Mad, jgn tak harus ke pasar malam and get some ayam percik for yourself. lol.

Yatie, yelah kot? 7 kids memang tak menang tangan dibuatnya.

Letti, welcome. 1st time you came to my blog kan? Since you've been kempunan-ing ayam percik, memang no excuse not to make some now. Trust me, my ayam percik recipe is really easy. ;)

Anonymous said...

Farina, hi!
Salam Aidilfitri to you.
Thanks for the ayam percik recipe. Nak try later,for the first time in my life ni...phuang tuku takai...

Salt N Turmeric said...

Yus, welcome and Salam Aidilfitri to you too. I pun tulah 1st time buat sendiri. hehe. apa phuang tuku takai tu?

Anonymous said...

'Phuang tuku takai' tu mentera mcm p.ramlee cakap 'ya insun matakaji....' hehhe. dari kecik dah terbiasa kalau nak extra good luck in doing something, cakap gitu le.The funny side of life! kalau anak jatuh dan nak redakan sakit waktu dia menangis pun, cepat-cepat I akan cakap phuang tuku takai jugak.Kelakar tak? From Islamic point, baca 'Bismillah" le..

Salt N Turmeric said...

Gosh! ya insun matakaji! its been a very long time since i heard tht. lol.