Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Roti John


Roti John is basically meat sauce on rolls. Roti means bread in Malay. Please dont ask me why its called Roti John though. lol. Its something that you could get from the street vendor just like the Ramly burger stalls back in Malaysia. The first and only time I made this was when my friends and I went to Port Dickson for a weekend. We went for 1 night but being kiasu, we bought enough food to last for at least 4 days. There were so much food left especially burger meat, buns/rolls, eggs and etc. that's when I decided to make Roti John myself.


This recipe however, is using the leftover spaghetti sauce. Very simple and easy to make yet very filling and good. If I may say so myself. Thank you! ;)
Roti John
Leftover spaghetti sauce (depending on how many rolls you're making)
1 egg (to be used with up to 2 rolls)
Salt and pepper to taste - optional
6-in roll (i used hotdog bun)

1. In a bowl, mix the spaghetti sauce and egg. Add salt and pepper to taste.

2. Heat a pan on medium high with a little bit of butter and pour the mix into the shape of the rolls. 10-15sec

3. Place the roll on top of the sauce. If the sauce keeps 'running', use a spatula to slowly push it under the rolls. 2-3min.

12 comments:

Yatie_T said...

Woohoo! Roti John, thanks for posting. I never knew it is so easy to make.

I think people call Roti John because it is a creation of a guy name John. We being Malaysian, we'll say "Ooh.. I want to make Roti, John style". So, everyone start calling it Roti John. That's my guess.... lol

ICook4Fun said...

I nampak Roti John kat pasar malam or pasar ramahdan but tak pernah pulak try ni mmmmmm look really easy to make. Can I make it with normal bread cos' tak ada hot dog buns?

tigerfish said...

Roti john...been ages since I have this. I just made spaghetti sauce and probably have leftovers but my roti has ran out!! bummer! next time i will try :)

Unknown said...

wowww sounds easy and yummy! but my sous chef would cry for rice or noodles...i never knew anyone more rice & noodles fanatic hahaha

Salt N Turmeric said...

Yatie, if thts the case, i wonder who is the 'John' person? lol.

Gert, regular bread is too soft. it wud get soggy in no time. i really wudn advise u in using bread. thts why rolls are the best the use. hope tht helps. ;)

TigerFish, next next u can make extra meat sauce and freeze the leftover to be used whenever u have rolls at home. ;)

Rita, some ppl really dont consider anything else but rice and/or noodles as staple diet. lol. U can always make spaghetti for ur sous chef and roti john for ur own consumption. ;)

NorthBorneoGirl said...

This looks easy enough! .. I will try this one day .. and let you know the result! Thanks dear for making life so simple for me in the kitchen!

NorthBorneoGirl said...

btw .. how much of a leftover spaghetti sauce should I use for 1 egg ? .. am not good in judging left over spaghetti sauce :)

Salt N Turmeric said...

Envy, thanks dear. The easier the better kan? for 1 roll, abt 4-5 tblsp of spaghetti sauce. i like mine heaps w the meat sauce so i put as much as i can w/o the sauce running all over the pan. Hope tht helps.

tuan umah said...

hi

nice blog..mcm2 ada...hehe..nyum..nyum..

Dayang said...

roti john la plak,mtk ckitttt

Retno Prihadana said...

Enak for breakfast or brunch.

Salt N Turmeric said...

hi ctnik. tq n welcome to my blog. i masak yg senang2 aje. i wont be making swak kek lapis anytime soon or even ever. lol.

Dayang, boleh. how many do u want? 1? 2? ;)

Retno, yup. and i actually made those for my breakfast. ;)